Pratheeksha IRCA Thalassery

Our History

Pratheeksha Integrated Rehabilitation Center for Addicts (IRCA) is an NGO registered under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, for Prevention and Treatment of Addiction of Alcohol, smoking and other substance abuse. It was started on the 4th October 1983 at Josegiri Hospital, Thalassery at the request of the first Bishop of Thalassery, Mar Sebastian Vallopilly a well known prohibition activist of Malabar and a social reformer. Fr.Thomas Thythottam being the first director of Pratheeksha has initiated everything for the beginning and growth of this major organisation for treatment and awareness programmes.

It was shifted to Makkootam, Thalassery on 19th January 1991 and again shifted to Nayanar Road, Ponniyam west, Thalassery in a three stored building to accommodate more alcoholic addicts and render them better care and treatment, in 2012. For the past three decades the centre had treated thousands of alcoholics and drug addicts from all over south India, men and their families who suffer from or were affected by the diseases of Alcoholism and other substance abuse. The centre was recognized by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt.of India in 1993.

The patron of Pratheeksha is Mar George Njaralakattu the Archbishop of Thalassery. At present Fr.Chacko kudiparambil is the director and Fr.Mathew karikkel is the administrator of the treatment center .